Monday, May 08, 2023

Caged Animal, Prometheus v3.07

A strugglesome night of sleeplessness and constant stomach pain (which has persisted all day!), but I gradually pulled myself into focus.

In the day, I did little until 10am, pacing up and down, which reminded me of a caged tiger. I played a tune on the piano, a repetitive two-tone melody, Caged Animal, to mimic this mood. I rather liked it, and transferred it to the computer. I loaded it into Prometheus and discovered a bug. Notes there are imported one after another, the tracks cycle. The maximum number of notes playing at once is calculated first by examining the MIDI file, but here I noticed two bugs. First, a Note Off event could be placed for a note which had started earlier, but was subsequently usurped by a future note, but second, this was caused by those notes being placed in cycle. They should really only appear on a silent track. I rarely import MIDI files with the Note Off/Kill events, which is why I hadn't noticed the bug.

I found and fixed it, then added a few more features to Prometheus; a two new noise generators for the modulators (echoing the changes I made to SFXEngine), a saving of the frames-per-second value. This was hard set to begin at 30fps, but now my films are as likely to be 25fps, so I made this a custom settable value. Finally, the ability to crop modulators, which is hardly a vital change, but I felt like programming.

Then I cut a new plastic sheet for my artwork, a general 'back-cloth' when I'm working on something messy. The (years) old one was thoroughly encrusted with paint and plaster, and I felt like a change. Finally, I marked out the first of the 'film star' portraits for Bickerton. Those will serve as training as well as something to exhibit. I spent 30 mins drawing out a rough outline.

I may work more on Caged Animal, and on the portraits. At least I've done something today, though my stomach still hurts.