Friday, May 12, 2023

Tea Sonata Practice, ArtSwarm, Christ Painting

A slow day, or one that's felt slow, but things were done. I finished a draft of the first movement of the Tea Sonata, a rather silly melody, short, and rather morose and tuneless and not very nice in any way(!) yet it's the first time I've scored something complex, then learned to play that score exactly, so it's primary function is a training exercise. A second movement darts up scales a little, it's more tuneful and much nicer in every way, but perhaps partly because of the contrast between it and the first one. I promoted ArtSwarm Tea a little too, but have had no response. I expect this will be the last ArtSwarm Live event, though I think this before and after each one, only to shrug and arrange another. There are no artists here, no social life, no humans to meet or discuss art or anything else with. This one meeting every two or three months is my only contact with peers or possible peers, and without ArtSwarm there would be even less, though even on ArtSwarm nights I have no time to talk anyway, as I'm busy organising, hosting, arranging. After about 10 of these, I can't afford to keep hiring the hall and staging them. Perhaps its end would be for my best, if not art's.

I've scanned the Love is Dead painting, and worked out some details about the SFXEngine sale. Sue came round for some computer assitance, file sorting, fixing etc. the third person I've helped in this way. I could be a computer consultant of this sort, 'software repair', 'Windows fixer', but I have no marketing abilities. I have many skills, but human contact has always been beyond my abilities, and alas, that is the only skill that matters in this human world. I rate inanimate objects, imaginary friends, and animals and plants above any human friends.

In the evening, some initial working out of an idea for the painting I dreamed of a few nights back, a floating chicken or turkey or man's chest floating in the sky, yet made of white circles, with pierced circles in the sky for invisible 'arms'. In the dream it was called 'The Wounds of Christ' and when I woke I realised that the white circles (one of which appears in Meals of Warm Spring) represent hosts, the Body of Christ.

Most of the tedious day was spent practising this one minute piano tune which sounds slow and simple, like a Satie, yet is amazingly complex and difficult to play; the worst of all worlds! But practice it certainly is.