Tuesday, May 30, 2023

P-L-Astic

Two slower that usual days working on music. The two songs completed so far were 90% complete to start with, which explains the slower pace of progress. Yesterday I revisited a song called P-L-Astic which has been in progress for two years, stuck there with just four patterns and 4 chords, an odd descent of C-Maj, G-Maj, Bb-Maj, F-Maj. I decided to continue with the staircase pattern and kept shifting keys into G#, D#, F#, C# then into an E-minor and, originally, G-Major, solo in the middle.

The mood is completely happy, bouncy, and somehow 'Japanese', but the lyrics were darker and it certainly needed to be longer as the whole thing was under two minutes, so I extended and slowed down the solo into guitar blues, in E-minor and A-minor. These seemingly simply changes were the result of lots of testing, experiments, tries and fails of different options. I tried to played the guitar a little, but my hand injury makes this difficult.

The cut on the thumb is very deep and still hurts. In retrospect, I should have 'steri-stripped' it up immediately after removing the first dressings, but didn't, partly because the doctor told me to treat it 'like a normal cut' after 5 days, but for this wound it was not ideal advice. It was still bleeding a little after 7 days. Well, it's too late now, but using these mock-stiches is helping make it feel a little more comfortable. I really need a sort of stem-cell gel to use like wall-filler. I hope and expect that it will heal slowly and scarringly over a few weeks.

Yesterday I also worked out the melody for a new song, Fake Plastic Lies, a rock song almost in the style of The Who. Progress is generally a lot slower.