Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Prometheus, The Modern Game Scores

A more focused day today. I'm still a little restricted due to my hand, though it's healing quickly, so I decided that music or computer-based work would be best.

I spent the morning pleasantly updating Prometheus. No new features added, but lots of tidying and fixing to the code, which has been on my list for some time. All of the ReadFile commands are now checked for, which is a bit of a pain for the song::load routines as there are a LOT of ReadFiles, but these, messy though they are, are now done. Also added the new CONFIGFILE class, which is a primary way to load and manipulate text files. There are used more here than ever, with lots of CSV exports and imports, and all of the script processing for Oldfield and Edward music generators. The new ones work much better but each routine needed hand updating, as the new ones work a little differently.

Then, at 4pm, I started on some scoring of The Modern Game music, so now Endings & Beginnings, (Life) Beyond Mars, and House of Glass are scored. I added some strings to Beyond Mars, but hints of the notes used rather than 'actual' string staves which would take a long time.

House of Glass sounds particularly nice. I've merged the bass and synth lines for one variation and it works rather well, a bouncy little rhythm. I noticed how some of the splits in the words help the mood "I'm a clown with a pain-ted smile" for pain, and "It's con-trol" for con. Well, the music is as worthy of publication as anything else; and publishing will take years, as much a lifetime as writing. I indeed am alone, a one man creator, publisher, world. I have no choice but to do everything myself, but I have the patience and stoic detmination to do it.