Saturday, May 27, 2023

Scores, Robot Songs

A day of filing at first. The new Modern Game scores are now up, and I modified The End And The Beginning scores to match a new standard.

Single stave songs which include the lead melody, and optional non-lyrical melody elements, are simply subtitled Lead Melody. Scores with two staves, treble and bass such that a piano could play it, again with the lead melody, and optional non-lyrical melody elements, these are named Piano Melody works. 'Piano Versions' have two or three staves, usually three, but the Lead lyrical part is separate, so these are piano accompaniment works. Some Piano Versions (esp. for our Fall in Green works) only have the piano accompaniment, no words/lead melody at all. Works with more parts, two, three, four are named after the parts (eg. Open Your Eyes - Lead, Synth, Bass); and some of those parts may have double staves. Parts with 'Version' are generally named after the ensemble or instrument that plays them. So that's the new standard for my score naming.

Then I started work on an album idea of songs with a technology theme. The cusp between emotions and technology has often been my artistic area, and The Modern Game too was part of this. I've assembled a new concept album of some old, some unwritten songs and have started to put these together. The first is a tune called Flying The City which I wrote as the 'news' music for Red Shift Radio, but it wasn't used (as far as I recall). I've renamed it Do You Know Where Your Heart Is, and modified it a little to fit some new words. This is almost ready for vocal recording.

Then I wanted to work on a song called Life As A Robot Guard. I'm sure I sequenced this at one point (Ah! - Maybe on Noise Station 1!), but while searching found another ancient (2003) song called Robot. I thought I wrote some words for it, but can't find those. I suppose I gave up on it. The song is so very simple, almost all A-minor, with F-Major and G-Major in the chorus, but it has a very robotic feeling and rhythm that screams out for a robotic dance. I finished sequencing this and wrote some new words, adding a little mid-section with at least some chord variation. This, in the story of the album, will take the protagonist into the machine.

Robot

I like passion
You like art
You're in fashion
I'm all heart
I am eager
You are fey
You excite me
when you say

Robot.
Robot.
Robot.
Robot.

I like playing.
You like games.
I'm attracted
to your flames.
Are you gentle
or insane?
Will you help me
numb my pain

robot?
Robot.
Robot.
Robot.

Can you feel love?
Must I become
like you

robot?
Robot.
Robot.
Robot.
Robot.
Robot.
Robot.
Robot.