Sunday, August 04, 2024

Frameculator, Self Inspection At Theresienstadt, Cromwell

A slower day. I feel I'm recovering from a virus. Deb has had an awful night at work and I've been worried about her. Oh to escape. Oh for Godot's arrival. I keep expecting him at any moment.

I started with some programming, updating Frameculator. Sometimes I saw from an offcut of wood; it's quite common to start with a piece already cut, on a slope. I wanted to add a feature to add a specific length to the measurements. I also improved the calculations; before it was possible to enter an illegal triangle (eg. 200, 50, 50 as sides), now this is detected, and I've upgraded the accuracy to double, which was needed for some angles. I thought a float (32-bit) value would be enough, but some triangles were not calculated well enough.

None of this is very important. I hardly spend any time framing! The act was more of a meditation, with some pragmatic quality. After that, I started work glazing 'Self Inspection At Theresienstadt', primarily smoothing out the patchy sky. Here is a before and after crop of the sky:

The shine is due to the wet oil. The difference is huge but not evident on a screen. Then some scant work on the Oliver Cromwell painting, which everyone thinks is a generic farmer. In my mind perhaps he is, this muddy commoner father to my King Charles self.

Not much done on it, but the glazing the carrot fronds was a lovely experience. It's taken me years to know the right colours to glaze these grassy, yellow-greens; more yellow-green than actual carrot fronds, but I care not. I must move on. I must paint more.

I feel that my time is short, that my end is nigh, that doom is approaching. Isn't it always so anyway? This is good motivation.