Tuesday, August 13, 2024

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings Underpainting

Painting today, the second version of 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings', this time on canvas panel (although the surface isn't too important). The first version had more 'detail', although the word is hard to apply to a somewhat abstracted work like this. It made me think that abstraction means simplification in practice, simplification of lighting and detail, but it could mean transformation, malformation, distortion too.

I listened to Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album, noting that the string ending is perhaps, rather than The Beatles, what has inspired the string ending in John's Beatle City. I listened to Sparks' Propaganda, and Hounds of Love. Then read about Matthew Fisher and watched a few videos about Whiter Shade of Pale. I read that he played live with Bowie with the Spiders From Mars; the circle completes.